
By Tiffany Flournoy
A petition seeking a permanent protective order against Cotton Valley Police Chief William “Bill” Ingersoll was dismissed Thursday, ending a temporary restraining order that had been in place since Dec. 4.
Ingersoll’s attorney Eric Johnson told the Webster Parish Journal on Thursday that “Chief Ingersoll was pleased with the ruling of the court this morning dismissing the protective order sought by Ms. Sublett. The petition she filed lacked any basis in fact or in law for the relief she was seeking from the court.”
Sublett said she plans to appeal the decision via a district court judge.
“The hearing officer did not mark my claim as frivolous, so I can appeal it. I’m going to appeal the ruling. I’m not going to give up,” she told the Webster Parish Journal.
She also said the hearing was effectively closed to the public, with only herself, Chief Ingersoll, and his attorney allowed inside, and that no reason was given for excluding spectators.
Sublett represented herself, while Ingersoll did not testify. During a prior Dec. 18 hearing, Sublett called Ingersoll as a witness. Ingersoll invoked his Fifth Amendment right through his attorney.