By Bonnie Culverhouse
Two new Officers First Class will be keeping citizens safe, thanks to a unanimous vote by the Minden City Council Tuesday.
Minden Police Chief Steve Cropper requested two police department promotions: officers Reese Tewell and Christopher Cayer to the rank of Officer First Class.
Cropper said in April, Cayer and Tewell were given the Fire and Police Civil Service Board Police First class examination test and scored well above the needed percentile.
In other business, the council will voted on the following items:
- A unanimous vote for reappointment of General Leonard Miller to the Minden Municipal Fire and Police Civil Service Board;
- Selection of the Minden Press Herald as Official Journal by a vote of 3-2, with District B Councilwoman Terika Williams-Walker and District C Councilman Vincen Bradford casting the two dissenting votes;
- A unanimous vote to extend for 30 days the yearly audit by Wise, Martin & Cole;
- A unanimous vote to adopt a resolution declaring three transformers as surplus property; and,
- A unanimous vote to award a bid for 2021 street improvement projects;
The council also heard the budget/financial report for May, 2021 from interim Clerk Michael Fluhr and the police report for May, 2021 by Chief Cropper.