By Bonnie Culverhouse
Two Minden firefighters were granted promotions by the Minden City Council during an abbreviated meeting Monday night.
With District B Councilwoman Terika Williams-Walker absent, the council voted unanimously to promote Capt. Ronnie Chreene to Assistant Chief and Firefighter/operator Adam Bradley to Captain.
“With the retirement of Assistant Chief Tommy John Hughs with 40 years and seven months, I am asking for the promotion of Capt. Ronnie Chreene to Assistant Chief with 31 years and Adam Bradley to Fire Captain with eight years’ experience,” Fire Chief Kip Mourad said. “They’ve passed the Civil Service test.”
The council also passed unanimously, the following items:
- Audit presentation for fiscal year 2019/2020;
- Minutes of the last regular meeting, as well as special session;
- Condemned properties; and,
- Final plat for lot split of property owned by Green Properties of Minden, located at the corner of Tillman Drive and Marshall Street, District A Councilman Wayne Edwards left the meeting before that final vote. Afterward, District C Councilman Vincen Bradford walked out, leaving the meeting without a quorum.
The following items were left on the table:
- Adopt ordinance for agreement with Centerpoint Energy granting them the right to construct, install, operate and maintain facilities for the transportation, distribution and sale of gas in the municipality;
- Adopt ordinance of tax mills for the year 2021;
- Adopt resolution adopting the City of Minden 2021/2022 budget;
- Adopt resolution declaring certain City of Minden property as surplus and fixing the terms of sale;
- Adopt resolution authorizing the execution of cooperative endeavor/purchase agreement with the City of Morgan City for one electric transformer;
- Budget/Financial report for June; and,
- Police report for June.