Apaches upset bid falls short as Homer Pelicans outlast Glenbrook

Homer:  36
Glenbrook:  21

Going into Friday night’s contest, the Glenbrook Apaches knew they would have their hands full with the number 6 ranked team in 1A, the Homer Pelicans. Homer, fresh off a semi final appearance last season, came to Minden with a 2-1 record and trying to stay perfect in district play.

The visiting Pelicans jumped out early in the first quarter on an 18-yard touchdown pass from Takeviuntae Kidd to Devante Champ. The two-point conversion was no good, and the Pelicans led 6-0.

Great defensive efforts by both teams kept the rest of the first quarter scoreless.

The Kidd to Champ combination struck for a second time on the night with 10:53 left in the second quarter from 18 yards out. Once again the Apache defense denied the two point attempt, and the Pelicans led 12-0.

After a defensive battle for the remainder of the second quarter, the Pelicans took a 12-0 halftime lead into the locker room.

The Apaches recovered an onside kick to open the second half. From there, the offense took only 2 plays to score as Ty Feaster found Cason Clemons streaking down the right sideline for a 48-yard touchdown pass. The extra point was no good and the Apaches trailed 12-6.

With 7:12 left in the third quarter, Andravious Buggs added another Pelican score to the board as he ran off right tackle into the end zone from 8 yards out. Kidd added the two-point conversion, and the Pelicans led 20-6.

With 2:34 left in the third quarter, the Apaches drove the ball into Pelican territory, but a fumble ended the scoring threat.

The Pelicans then went on an 8 play 64-yard drive that was capped off by Andravious Buggs’ second rushing touchdown on the night from 19 yards out. After another successful two-point conversion by Kidd, the Pelicans had extended their lead to 28-6.

Both teams traded offensive possessions before the Apaches took over on their own 19 with 3:46 remaining in the game.

The Apaches went 81 yards in 9 plays as Ty Feaster threw his second touchdown pass on the night, this time an 8-yard fade route to Turner Mclelland. Feaster then found Cason Clemons in the back of the end zone for the two-point conversion to cut the lead to 28-14 with 2:42 left to play in the game.

Down two scores with less than three minutes left, the Apaches executed their second successful onside kick on the night and set up shop on the Pelican 44 yard line.

The Apaches dialed up a perfect double pass from 32 yards out as Turner Mclelland took the backwards pass from Feaster and found a wide open DJ Carter sprinting down the sideline for the touchdown. The extra point was good and the Apaches cut the lead to 28-21 with 1:51 left to play.

After an unsuccessful onside kick attempt, the Pelicans gained possession and scored another touchdown and two point conversion to put the game out of reach at 36-21.

Head Coach David Feaster had this to say about his team’s effort. “Our guys fought the entire game, especially in the second half when all looked lost there for a little while. When suddenly the defense gets a stop and we drive it down and score, we get the onside kick and drive it down and score and we are right back in the game and just about shocked the world.”

The Apaches will be on the road next week as they take on Magnolia Charter School at Independence Stadium on Friday at 7 p.m.