By Bonnie Culverhouse
Heading up the Minden City Council’s agenda for the April 4 meeting are police promotions and a new hire.
Police Chief Steve Cropper is requesting the council approve Joe Chandler, currently a corrections officer, as his newest addition to the force.
“Joe is not P.O.S.T. certified, but he has a background in law enforcement,” Cropper said. “He would be an asset to the department.”
Chandler has a current score of 87 percent on the Police/Fire Municipal Civil Service test.
In addition, Cropper is requesting promotions to the rank of sergeant for Ofc. Brandon Shane Griffith, Ofc. Michael Shawn Griffith and Ofc. Jason Smith, along with Off. Jason Lee to Officer First Class.
Cropper told the council these promotions will allow each shift to have a sergeant.
“We reduced the number of lieutenant positions by three,” Cropper said. “As we lose lieutenants, we will not be replacing them. Right now, we just have two sergeants on patrol. This will give us two more on patrol and one as a detective.”
Other items on the agenda include:
- Low income household water assistance vendor agreement;
- An appeal request from Huffman Management LLC;
- Adopt a resolution to grant signatory power to sign checks to Heather Feedback, Assistant City Clerk and to leave Councilwoman Terika Williams-Walker on the list as Mayor Pro Tem;
- Award surplus property bids on two transformers, scrap metal and a used Ricoh copier;
- Budget/financial report for February 2022; and,
- Police Report for February, 2022.
To report an issue or typo with this article – CLICK HERE