Fire destroys Amanda Road residence 

Photo courtesy of Chris McGarity.

By Bonnie Culverhouse

A Webster Parish family lost their home to fire Thursday night.

Dist. 7 Fire Chief Brian Williams said his department was dispatched around 8:30 p.m. to a working house fire in the 100 block of Amanda Rd. near Dixie Inn with a person possibly inside.

“We were training in the area, so our first unit arrived on scene within four minutes of dispatch,” Williams said. “The structure had heavy fire showing on two sides. We started extinguishing the fire at the same time we were searching for anyone who might be home.”

Williams said it was quickly determined there were no residents in the home, however, there were two small dogs. Williams said they were rescued unharmed.

“A neighbor advised us the people were not at home,” Williams said. “At that point, we continued fighting the fire. It was a difficult fire because the home had multiple ceilings in it and multiple roofs on it. It was hard to get to the fire.”

Williams said, with the help of Minden Fire Department, Fire Dist. 10 and Bossier Parish Fire Dist. 1, the fire was contained in about an hour.

“It was another two hours before we made sure the hot spots were extinguished,” he said.

Williams said one fire fighter was injured.

“It was a minor burn that was checked out at the local hospital,” he said. “He was released to full duty.”

Pafford EMS was on scene as protocol to aid firefighters during working fires, however, Williams said they were released.

The fire is still under investigation.

The family that lived in the home, had a nursing home relative. They were prepared to bring that relative home to that house today,” Williams said Friday. “They have family and enough sources to have a place to stay.”