Perfect for the holidays: decorated Butter Crumb Cakes
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled slightly
- 1 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature (or softened 15 seconds in the microwave)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons butter extract
- 2 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 6 tablespoons milk or heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon butter extract (or almond extract)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Make the crumb topping: Whisk the sugar and salt. Add melted butter and cake flour. Mix with hands to crumble. Set aside.
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease your baking pan (I used mini muffin tins). Then sprinkle sugar over the greased surfaces.
Using a stand mixer cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. In a separate bowl add the milk, sour cream, vanilla, butter extract, and eggs. Whisk until fully combined.
In another bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Alternately add dry ingredients to the butter/sugar mixture with the wet ingredients ending with the dry ingredients. Mix on low until just combined.
Pour batter into baking pan. Divide the crumb topping evenly over the batter. The mini loaves baked for 22 minutes and were done. Let cool completely.
To make the glaze whisk all ingredients together. Drizzle over mini cakes and top with sprinkles.