By Bonnie Culverhouse
Minden Police Department is only one officer away from a full roster, following Monday’s meeting of the Minden City Council.
Ladarius Joseph, Jemela Freeman and Renauld Blair were hired by recommendation of Chief Jared McIver and a unanimous vote of the council.
“Two are already post-certified – Joseph and Freeman,” McIver said. “Blair will be going to the academy soon, but all three have taken all their exams and completed all the steps required.”
McIver said each officer went through interview panels.
“They will be great assets to the Minden Police Department,” he said.
In other business, the council unanimously approved the following items:
• Audit presentation for fiscal year 2021-2022
• Personnel: Minden Police Department new hires;
• Adopt ordinance to create a new competitive position of Deputy Chief of Police;
• Adopt resolution authorizing credit card signatory power;
• Adopt resolution declaring certain City of Minden property as surplus and fixing terms of sale;
• Authority for Mayor Nick Cox to enter into a maintenance agreement including mowing and litter pick-up with the State of Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development Office of Engineering;
• Authority for Mayor Nick Cox to join the Delta Regional Authority’s 2023 Strategic Planning Program;
• Condemned property;
• Budget financial and police reports for March 2023.
Minden City Council meets at 6 p.m. the first Monday of every month at Minden City Hall. It is preceded by a workshop at 4:30 p.m. The public is invited to attend.