By Bonnie Culverhouse
Minden Police Department has a new officer and Minden Main Street has a new director, thanks to unanimous votes by the city council.
Jordon Greer, who comes to the department already post-certified, had a Civil Service test score of 96 percent.
“He had an impressively high score on his test,” said Mayor Nick Cox. “He will be a good addition to the department.”
Taylor Wren, a former teacher, the new Minden Main Street Director.
“Ms. (Mahala) Hutto retired at the end of the year,” said Cox. “We interviewed several people. The council has met with the person I recommend for this position, and we feel like she’s the person who will take over this position and makes it their own.”
Working hand-in-hand with Main Street is the Minden Downtown/Residential Historic Commission.
Commission member Logan McConathy recently resigned his position and Ricky Thomas, owner of Under Dawgs, was appointed to serve until the end of the year.
Other items passed unanimously by the council include the following:
• Selection of Minden Press-Herald as the Official City Journal;
• Condemned Property: Estate of Helen J. Drake, 422 E. Union St.;
• Adopt Resolution authorizing credit card signatory power to Fire Chief Brian Williams;
• Adopt Resolution amending City of Minden 2022/2023 budget in order to purchase a rescue truck;
• Adopt revisions to building rental agreements;
• Award bid for Minden Airport Improvement Program to the lowest bidder meeting all qualifications: Cleve Batte Construction with a bid of $2,585,957.60;
• Authority to advertise for bids for used fire department custom heavy rescue truck;
• Authority for Mayor Nick Cox to enter into an agreement for engineering services with Cothren, Graff, Smoak Engineering, Inc. for centralized Public Works office;
• Authority for Mayor Cox to enter into a Software-as-a-Service Agreement with Kologic LLC for Minden Police Department software.
• Authority for Mayor Cox to enter into an agreement with Louisiana Economic Development for an updated Louisiana development ready communities certification strategic plan;
• Budget financial report for April 2023; and,
• Police report for April 2023.