By Bonnie Culverhouse
Minden Dixie Darlings were recognized as the Softball World Series Champions at the end of the Minden City Council meeting Monday. The 8U girls softball team represented Louisiana at the World Series in Fairview, Tenn. and brought home the Championship trophy.
“This night just needs to be about our World Series Champs, and I’m so proud of them,” said District E councilman Andy Pendergrass. “The mayor asked me to raise a little bit of money for them so we could have a nice celebration tonight after the meeting. I made eight calls in 30 minutes and had all the money raised.
“That’s a testament to the people in this town who pour out their hearts, souls and wallets all the time for the kids in this town,” he continued.
Pendergrass said a “drive-by” parade will be held at 6 p.m. Thursday at Minden’s Academy Park.
“We will have a line-up at Lakeview Methodist Church at 6 and then head over with a police escort and drive by the park where the girls will be celebrating. The public can honk and wave at them as we drive by,” he said. “They will be having a special championship dinner following that.”
In other business, the council voted in favor of the following items:
• Final plat approval – lot split of property on the corner of Lewisville Road and Country Club Circle owned by Thomas J. McFarland;
• Appointment of Braley Raborn to Minden Planning Commission, replacing Sarah Haynes;
• A resolution authorizing the mayor to accept grant funds from the Federal Aviation Administration to construct a parallel taxiway and other future improvements to the Minden Airport;
• A resolution declaring certain City of Minden Property – a Ward I City Marshal’s Office Tahoe – as surplus and fixing terms of sale;
• An ordinance levying tax mills for 2023;
• Authority for Mayor Nick Cox to enter into an agreement for professional services between City of Minden and Atlas Community Studios for a Minden Strategic Economic Development Plan;
• Authority of Cox to enter into a professional services agreement and task order (for grant funding) between City of Minden and Manchac Consulting Group, Inc.;
• Authority for Mayor Cox to execute and and all documents pertaining to the purchase of property by fee title, as required by FAA and DOTD for a Wildlife Perimeter Facing Project at Minden Airport;
• Budget and Financial report for June 2023; and,
• Police report for June 2023.