By Marilyn Miller
A call for volunteers went out Monday night during the monthly meeting of the Minden Main Street Board of Directors.
Board President Shawn Hatcher stressed that volunteers for “Main to Main” Trade Days are needed for both Friday, Nov. 3 and Saturday, Nov. 4. Responsibilities will include defining and marking booth spaces, collecting a $10 booth space fee from each craft vendor, on-site registration, and more.
Main Street Director Taylor Wren said that on-line registration can be accessed at www.mindenla.org, and highlighting “Main Street.” She said that she is already receiving registration forms. The “Main to Main” Trade Days route stretches from downtown Minden to downtown Springhill, via the Shreveport Road and Hwy. 371 north. There will be vendors along the way. “But we are only selling spaces on City of Minden property downtown,” Wren said.
The ”Christmas in Minden” celebration on Dec. 8-9, 2023 will be co-hosted by the Greater Minden Chamber of Commerce, the Webster Parish Convention & Visitors Commission and the Minden Main Street Office.
“We’re going to organize a Night Market,” Wren informed the Board. She said that there would be food vendors, one or two entertainment stages, a giant slide and possibly an ice-skating rink.
With the cost of the rink being so high, Board member Diane Silvis commented that “We will need to pre-sale tickets if we are going to have an ice-skating rink.” Board members agreed, adding that sponsors might become necessary.
The Board also:
- Discussed hosting a carnival or street dance following the Mardi Gras Parade on Jan. 27, 2024. Minden Main Street is responsible for the judging arrangements, and a recommendation was made to have the judges sit on a trailer (in front of Under Dawgs) so that they are out of the foot traffic;
- Discussed the possibility of hosting a Mardi Gras Ball. The final consensus was to have the Ball in 2025;
- Learned that the Main Street office has ordered 10,000 new bulbs for Christmas using Capital Outlay funds;
- Decided to offer to help with the Minden Fair Parade on Oct. 3, 2023;
- Set the next meeting for Monday, Oct. 16;
- Welcomed new Board member Jordan Cupples.